Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Benefits of Coconut


It's no secret that I'm a big fan of coconut oil and I try to substitute it in whatever I can whenever I can.  Most fats are pretty equal when it comes to calories - coconut oil 120, butter 101, olive oil 120, margarine 102, per tablespoon.  Coconut oil is what's know as a medium-chain triglyceride fat (MCTs) and is believed to aid weight loss because it is metabolized differently than other fats.  It is 90% saturated fat which has been given a bad rap, but research has confirmed that coconut oil can actually raise your good HDL cholesterol and has antioxidants similar to berries and dark chocolate.

Some still maintain that saturated fat contributes to heart disease but man has been eating saturated fat (butter, lard, coconut oil) for thousands of years and it's not until we started eating polyunsaturated vegetable oils (corn, safflower, canola) and margarine in the last century that heart disease became so prevalent. What's up with that?  It is also diabetic friendly because it helps to regulate blood sugar lessening the effects of the disease.  Weight loss has also be attributed to other coconut products, which contain some of the oil, like coconut flour, coconut cream, and coconut milk.

Just recently I made biscuits using coconut oil and coconut milk and they turned out wonderful.  I also substituted half of the white flour with whole wheat flour.  They were light, flaky, and tasty!  If your oil is in a liquid state, refrigerate until solid.



*Coconut Oil Biscuits*

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour 
1 tablespoon baking powder  
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil (chill if in liquid state)
3/4 cup coconut milk (canned)

Preheat oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Sift or whisk together all the dry ingredients.  Cut chilled coconut oil into flour mixture with two knives or a pastry blender.  Stir in coconut milk to form a soft dough; turn out onto floured surface.  Pat into a rectangle about 1/2 " thick.  Cut into 12 squares and carefully transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.   Bake for 15 - 17 minutes.   Cool slightly and enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. I think I've got to try this out. Your baking looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for you to post this recipe Cindy!! I am going to give these a try!! I'll let you know how I get on! Not that I should be eating biscuits . . . but, oh well!!

    ReplyDelete